Nowadays, when dodging domestic responsibility for a weekend in the woods, most of us use rifles fitted with some sort of scope. After all, we didn’t drag ourselves kicking and screaming into the Industrial Revolution and beyond just to disregard technology in our constant pursuit of tasty venison steaks. As such, every fall, millions of Americans take to the forest carrying a myriad of rifles, and nearly all are fitted with optics. It is an orange clad army of sharpshooters that rivals any military on the planet, and at some point, nearly all of them have asked the same question. “What is the best scope for deer hunting?” Well, we’ve got you covered, folks:
Leupold, Because Quality Counts for Everything
- Leupold VX-2 4-12x40mm Compact Waterproof Fogproof Riflescope, Duplex Reticle, Matte Finish, Black (114396)
- Price as of 07/08/2020 23:57 PDT(more info)Product prices and availability are accurate as of the date/time indicated and are subject to change. Any price and availability information displayed on Amazon.com at the time of purchase will apply to the purchase of this product.
Leupold scopes are as American as deer hunting and more importantly are arguably the finest rifle scope for deer hunting money can buy. The Leupold VX-2 is a ruggedly basic 4-12 power scope with a 40mm objective lens, fully coated optics, duplex reticle and uncompromising Leupold quality. For the best deer hunting scope, go big. Go Leuopold. (Yes, that sounds like a lame commercial, but we mean what we say. Truly.)
Nikon is Pretty Darn Good Stuff Too
- Nikon ProStaff 3-9 x 40 Black Matte Riflescope (BDC)
- Price as of 07/08/2020 07:04 PDT(more info)Product prices and availability are accurate as of the date/time indicated and are subject to change. Any price and availability information displayed on Amazon.com at the time of purchase will apply to the purchase of this product.
Sightron S III
- Sightron SIII SS 10-50x60mm Long Range Rifle Scope, TARGET DOT
- Price: $979.99
- Price as of 07/08/2020 20:31 PDT(more info)Product prices and availability are accurate as of the date/time indicated and are subject to change. Any price and availability information displayed on Amazon.com at the time of purchase will apply to the purchase of this product.
If you are after some serious reach out and touch power, or just a high powered scope that is as hardcore as your favorite hunts, look no further than the Sightron S III. Built from the ground up to be a serious long range, high powered scope, the S III features 10-50 power magnification, and oversized 60mm objective lens, this precisely built scope will give you a superior chance at previously impossible shots. High powered scopes are a must for long distant shooting, and with the S III you can hunt further than ever before!
A Light in the Darkness
- Ledsniperriflescope 6-24x50 Aoe Red & Green & Blue Illuminated Mil-dot Adjustable Intensified Rifle Scope + Sunshade + Flip-up Caps + Rail Mounts
- Price as of 07/08/2020 07:58 PDT
- Vortex Optics Viper HS 4-16x44 Second Focal Plane Riflescope - Dead-Hold BDC Reticle (MOA)
- Price: $549.00
- Price as of 07/08/2020 20:31 PDT
The Vortex Viper is the sort of scope you could take anywhere in North America for use on any sort of game and never have to worry about the quality of your optics. Perfect for deer hunting, it features 4-16 power magnification, a 44mm objective lens, a 30mm aircraft grade aluminum O-ring sealed tube, and state of the art lens coatings for optimal light transmission. This isn’t some cheap big box store scope you slap on your beater rifle and go hunting with; this is a scope for a serious deer hunter who spends serious time in the woods going after serious game. Affordable, high quality, high performing and built for the ages, the only thing wrong with this scope is that you probably don’t have it yet.
Simmons Quality, Simmons Pricing
- Simmons 8-Point 3-9x50mm Rifle Scope with Truplex Reticle
- Price: $58.78
- Price as of 07/08/2020 16:09 PDT
Stupid Question of the Day: Why Hunt with a Scope?
I’ve hunted deer with everything from a single-action .41 magnum revolver to a bone stock AK 47 with an underfolding stock and several more traditional rifles and shotguns. In some cases, I was hunting in thick brush, or in areas where use of a rifle was prohibited by law. In other cases, I was hunting where a rifle with a scope was an asset and would ensure a clean, easy kill. Very rarely will deer simply wander up in close range. Often they have to be stalked, and engaged at whatever range they appear at. Sometimes you are shooting at them from across a meadow or mountain valley, or sometimes on the edge of a farmer’s field. Regardless, unless you have eyes like Superman, or have almost literally walked up on top of them, you can benefit from putting the best deer-hunting scope on your rifle.
The best scopes have a few things in common, regardless of brand or other features. They all will have at least a 1” diameter body. In fact, this is pretty much the standard for rifle scopes, and there are a myriad of high quality 1” rings on the market to choose from. The best rifle scopes will have their tube purged with inert gas to prevent fogging during temperature change, and will be waterproof and hold their zero even under the heavy recoil of high powered rifles.
Scopes for deer hunting come into their own when you hunt at about 100 yards or further. Sometimes you can get lucky and walk up onto a deer, but for the most part, deer hunting involves distance, patience and time. When everything comes together, and you finally find your deer, there is a pretty good chance, you will need quality optics to get a good sight picture, and ensure a fast, clean and humane kill. You’ll need the variable magnification of a good rifle scope so that you can adjust your sight picture to be clear, stable and rock solid before pulling the trigger, and you may even need an illuminated reticle to see the crosshairs under low light or poor weather conditions. Regardless, there are a lot of scopes on the market, but we hope you’ve gotten a better idea of just what makes the best deer rifle scope.