In this article, you’re going to find a progressive reloading press comparison of the two most popular presses, which are the Hornady’s Lock N Load and the Dillon Precision Pressive Presses:
Hornady’s Lock N Load Auto-Progressive Reloading Press
- Hornady Lock-N-Load AP Press Loader – Ammunition Reloading Press with Quick Change Lock-N-Load Bushing System, EZ-JECT System and Powder Measure – Enjoy Fast and Reliable Reloading – Item 095100
- Price: $529.99
- Price as of 10/01/2022 04:06 PDT(more info about ad)
– Easy to start out on as a beginner reloader
– Works highly effectively and consistently
– Easy to swap out dies (5 minutes!)
– The EZ-ject station makes it easy to pop out bullets
– Main body built to last
– The product could get fairly expensive (at least, more than a turret or single stage press)
– Doesn’t come with die sets – they have to be purchased separately
– Extra tools are needed for the most effective reloading
– The moving parts are numerous, therefore more fragile than simpler presses.
Dillon Precision 16944 Progressive Reloading Machine
- Dillon Precision 16944 XL 650 9mm Progressive Auto Indexing Reloading Machine
- Price as of 10/01/2022 18:44 PDT(more info about ad)
– Can load over 120 different kinds of calibers (with appropriate dies)
– Capable of reloading both pistol and rifle bullets
– Lifetime Warranty (Dillon is well known for its great customer service)
– 4 stage reloading system
– Cranks out over 500 rounds per hour
– Is consistently near or at the top of the best progressive reloading press reviews
– Requires a caliber conversion kit (the above includes 9mm; you need dies for other calibers)
– Some of the moving parts could break more often than turret presses.
– Setup can be a bit complex for first-timers
Why Use Progressive Reloading Presses Over Others
Progressive reloading presses tend to be both more expensive and more time-consuming to set up than a single-stage or a turret product. A progressive reloading press:
– Produces more rounds in less time than others
– Completes multiple reloading stages in one go
– May not last as long (due to all of the moving pieces involved)
If you’re planning on reloading large batches of identical bullets, then a progressive product is the best way to go. Once you’ve got the gist of the machine down, you can create hundreds of bullets in an hour. If you do a lot of shooting, or reload bullets to sell in bulk later, this product is a great option for you. Even if you’re just stockpiling bullets for the future, a progressive press is a good investment.
The only reason you might want a different product is if your goals are for smaller batches, or if you want your product to last even longer. The best progressive reloading presses last for years, but a single stage reloading press will last even longer because of the simplicity in its design. As long as you take care of your press and do regular cleaning and maintenance, you should be able to get whatever product you choose to last your lifetime.
Well, we hoped you’ve enjoyed our best progressive press comparison. If you’re interested in our recommendations for single stage or turret presses, please check out our homepage for more info.